Thursday, May 16, 2019

Sidelines

There's the work you do. Then there's the side show. Don't dismiss, discount or overlook the little seeds planted along the way.

She is my friend's neighbor. A half grown woman with an inquisitive mind. She stands in her doorway and watches. If her momma or her bro ain't close, she inquires whatever her curiousity longs to know. Good questions. Most of the time, I walk past their door and don't connect because I am too focused on getting my friend to where she needs to go and back.

Little league opens up a door to a stack of mail, and a extended family tree. You don't have to be athletic to enter in. Ya'll can do things out of your "league," that you feel disqualified for,  and still make a difference in the world. Trust me.

A cat found a new home, and built the best bridge of the year. I'm positively convinced my mom never dreamed I would be a one time purveyor of felines. (I didn't either) But with the long winding road of events since then, I will never ever regret the annoying meowing for the difference one small kitty could make. You can do small things you wouldn't ever get excited about, but it might change the outcome of the major stuff completely. :)

Maybe it's taking the time to stop by and brag on a boy to his mom. Or choosing to walk with him somewhere to make an apology. Or teaching him anger management. We have these occasional conversations one on one in the middle of busy schedules. It's worth taking time to invest.

My long time friend has friends of friends I don't even remember meeting ever. But the chatty Chester of their lives came to school, knew me instantly, and started saying a lot of nice things and chattering 90 miles a minute. I am sure they are good people, but I simply can't remember anything of a previous meeting. Seriously a side show of a side show. I had no idea that he was watching, or that he is a relative of an older lady I occasionally see, and claim as an “Aunt.” You never know who you might favorably impress while you go along the way.

It's laughing together and eating dandelions that changes the stress level for everyone. A little girl and I share a secret smile ever since. Sometimes you need to just relax, and do crazy.

I will never forget the lowest moment in Asia, when a friend messaged without knowing anything that was going on. That simple but profound message saved more then the day! Being on the receiving side of a small thing, I can ensure you it doesn’t take much to entirely transform the world of one person.

Don’t overlook the tiniest things. Don’t miss the stars because it’s full moon.

You have likely heard the story of the dripping water pot. The one that didn’t feel like it did much of anything, but there was a green strip of grass thanks to it’s dripping the whole way along the path. I know that the main thing I do makes a difference. But I can forget about the eyes who silently observe. Maybe you see that lady at Walmart. Maybe you don’t. Let God open your eyes if you need to see, but more importantly, be faithful. We don’t need to see the whole side show, or the significant difference we made, because it’s all about Him.

We don’t see things the same way He does. It might just be that the most impactful act we do in our whole lifetime is not what we considered important. It might just be a little kindness we have long forgotten about.

The average person impacts 10,000 lives in the expanse of their lifetime. It might just be the acts of service we do for the those right around us who we get annoyed with or daily care for are what God notices most. The things we consider small and ordinary, are very well what makes more eternal jounce then the things we did for the multitude.

Stay faithful!




No comments:

Post a Comment