Sunday, March 31, 2019

Rewards

Why do you do the things you do? What motivates and drives you?

Recently, I became well aware of how tired I was emotionally, and I knew something had to change. I had realized that I had gotten involved for the wrong reasons in several good things over the years, and it wasn’t life giving anymore. I was burnt out, and ineffective in helping anyone. It was time to find new motivation, and new vision. Correct motivation for doing the right things.

It’s hard to have conversations with people about the hard realities of their lives or worse, listen to their sobs. Can I see them as my tangible Jesus to love on?

It’s also good to just tell God about it all, and hear Him say that I spoke the truth, that I loved enough. Can I stop taking on all their broken hard things and let them rest on His shoulders?

So what is your motivation?
Is it to get a reward at the end of your life?
Is it to honor and glorify God and to make Him known?

Recently the whole idea of rewards was kind of smeared up in my face, and a big part of me pushed back, so I decided to research, think, and reflect. Ask, seek and knock, and the door will be opened, right?

Why do I think that doing things simply for the award at the end is little too much like kindergarten level expectations for a small trinket at the end of a well behaved day?
Why does doing things for God’s glory feel more like a mature, more proper motivation?

I was blessed enough to sit in a class where we were taught that blessings came for one reason. To be shared with the people all around us, as in the strangers, orphans and widows. Why? So they too can see, know, and personally glorify Him. Blessings aka rewards were for the intent that we would be blessings to others. Rewards aren’t for us to selfishly keep for ourselves.

I am a believer in garnering stars in for our crowns for one reason. We will throw them at Jesus’ feet, and he deserves the most beautiful, ornate head gear we can give him. A Burger King cardboard crown simply wouldn’t do it for my King.

There definitely are verses that clearly state there is a reward for those that are faithful. Those promises are worthwhile taking a look at. I believe that they will come true. I want a reward when the time comes that God wants to give it.

He hasn’t rewarded us according to our iniquities. Thankfully. That’s incredible grace that’s worth seeking out it’s Creator.

Hebrews says we must believe that He is, and that He is the rewarder of those that diligently seek Him. I noticed it doesn’t say those who work hard. It is for those who seek.

Don’t be weary in well doing, for in due season, we shall reap if we faint not. I struggle to be ok with doing hard things just for the reward that we will get. But it seems worthwhile to hang in there on the hard days.

He who endures to the end shall be saved. Ok, that is more essential. One definition of reward started out as “whole, safe...” The idea of being in a safe place full of peace and love eternally is enough for me. That kind of reward is something I long for in the middle of the stressful. Imagine no more stress! A spa-like peacefulness that goes on forever.. A profound solitude breakthrough wow that doesn’t end, or return to earth quickly as the thief moves in to steal the joy somehow.

I will not dive into the whole debate of different levels of heaven, and rewards, awards, prizes and more elaborate sparkling crowns for the most faithful. Whatever eternity is all about, the best part will be to stand in the presence of Jesus and God forever.

So the next time I encounter a difficult situation, or turn around to choke back the tears, I will remember that this is not forever. There is an end to drama. Thank Heaven.

More than anything I can do, it’s my biggest calling to seek Him. I can get a glimpse of what He envisions, but it is up to Him to bring the “how it will happen” around. When it begins and ends with Him, that changes everything.

In the meantime, I will continue seeking Him one day at a time. Rewards don’t need to be my primary concern, but seeking Him does.


No comments:

Post a Comment