Saturday, September 7, 2019

What are You Grooming For?

They say most girls that are trafficked, were groomed first. Potentially even before they were sweet talked into it, they were molested or abused.

Whether we realize it or not, culture also typically grooms us (usually in a good way) for cultural expectations. I don't know what your exact culture prepared you for, but there are likely certain physique, personality, skills, education, relationship, and hobby requirements that they are trying to guide you into and shape you into their mold.

Some of us have even tried to steer ourselves into fitting the mold. Maybe because we didn't believe in ourselves being ok just the way we are. Maybe cause we didn't have the moral support to be who we were made to be.

As life continues, I hear from others that the life they have, isn't the one they expected. I never dreamed at 15, that I'd be living the life I live. I think God does it to us so we are more dependent on Him.

So how do we prepare for the life we are made for and called to, instead of going with the cultural mold? How should we "groom" ourselves and the generations coming after us? I hope we can move in the direction of pushing ourselves to become more like Jesus, and what He wants for our lives corporately as cultures, and personally.

Some grooming tools that push us more towards Him include:

Worship. Knowing the sovereignty of God, and honoring Him, places Him on His rightful throne. When we have that down, we automatically have a spirit of worship and awe. As we see the Potter's hands on our lives, we can be more accepting of His unique plans for us.

Surrender. Let God drive. Stop yourself like I recently when I was praying. Instead of praying that God would help me to do xyz, I want to pray that God's will is done through me with or without my help. It's not my life, but His.

Praise. It messes up the enemy, and allows God to flow more freely. And doesn't God get more glory and honor from our lives when we fill our unique niches? Praise flows easiest from humans when they are in their "glory." Doesn't mean we go for what is the easiest for us, but on the days I feel like "this is what I was born for," I live with a spirit of praise. Another form of praise is complimenting others when they fill their niche.

Encouragement. Everyone needs a champion who cheerleads and believes in them. Some of us get that person, others of us don't. This aspect of my job is my favorite. I love rooting for my kids. Believing in them, loving on them, taking a minute here or there to encourage. Encouraging is fun. I'm not sure why more people don't join the party???!!

Abiding. If we are going to do the things that God wants us to do, we are going to need His energy, His grace, and His love. And sometimes, just a quiet moment with Him to recharge. Stick close.

If you have more tools, comment. Let's join together to be the best cups/vessels/serving platters/chandeliers/whatever you picture yourselves as, and bless each one in their unique story, that most likely will be very different then the one you dreamed about as a young teenager.

For I know the plans I have for you, plans to give you a hope and a future, says the Lord. It may not be your dreams, but it will be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment